The government have a range of help services for people who are carers. Whether you are a carer for a few hours a week or all day every day, caring for a relative, friend or neighbour can take its toll.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Is your situation out of control?
- Are you feeling overwhelmed, confused or shocked by your situation?
- Do you find it difficult to say ‘no’?
- Would you like a break from caring?
- Do you no longer see your friends?
- Are you feeling isolated and don’t know how to connect to others?
- Do you feel that nobody understands what you are going through?
- Would you like to learn some coping or stress management skills?
- Are you dealing with sadness, grief or loss (this could include loss of the life you used to know or loss of opportunities for the person you care for)?
- Are you going through a transition i.e. giving up your job to look after somebody?
- Would you like some practical problem-solving techniques?
- Do you need help to focus on your own health and wellbeing?
- Would you like to just talk to someone about your situation?
- Are you feeling guilty, frustrated or angry about the situation?
- Are you afraid about what will happen when you can no longer perform your caring role?
If you answer ‘yes’ to these questions: Click here to find out what help might be available
Carers Queensland is the peak body representing, advocating and being the voice for carers throughout Queensland. They offer support to carers in couselling, group support, information and referrals.
Their core work includes:
representing the voice of carers
raising awareness of carers and caring in our communities
research, policy development and effective advocacy
providing quality services and programs to support the needs of carers and the people they care for.
Carers Advisory Service: 1800 242 636
Find Carer Support Groups: Click Here
National Carer Counselling Program: Click here
Carers Queensland Head Office: (07) 3900 8100
The Carer Gateway in an online resource portal for carers helping carers remain engaged in the community, participate in the workforce and stay healthy while continuing their caring role. Developed specifically for carers, the Carer Gateway helps carers access practical information and advice and connect with services in their local area. Carer Gateway includes a website, phone service and an interactive service finder to assist carers.
Telephone: 1800 422 737
Arafmi supports those who care for, or about, someone with a mental illness. It offers phone support, counselling, family respite, support group meetings and workshops for carers.
Phone: (07) 3254 1881 (24 hours)
The Department of Veteran Affairs have put together a booklet to help those acting in a carers role to understand available supports in the community.
Carers Booklet Guide: Click Here
Commonwealth Home Support Program – For those eligible, the Commonwealth Home support Program may offer assistance or respite. For more information: Click Here or Phone: My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.
Qld Community Care Program – For those eligible, the Queensland Community Care Program may offer assistance or respite. For more information: Click Here
Disability Services – For those eligible Disability Services may be able to offer help to the perons needing care. Phone: 13 74 68 Website: Click Here
NDIS – For those eligible, the NDIS may offer assistance to the person who needs care.
Phone: 1800 800 110
ADA Australia offer independent advocacy for care recipients. If you are caring for someone who is unhappy with the care they are receiveing you can contact ADA Australia on thier behalf. ADA Australia offers free advocacy to support them to address their care related issues. Contact ADA Australia on:
Telephone: 1800 818 338
Some organisations which may be able to assist you to help you protect the rights of the person you care for include:
- Independent Advocacy Townsville
- Cairns Community Legal Centre (CCLC)
- People with Disability Australia (PWD)
- Queensland Advocacy Inc (QAI)
- Rights in Action
- Speaking Up For You (SUFY)
- Sunshine Coast Citizen Advocacy Programme
- Amparo Advocacy Inc
- Capricorn Citizen Advocacy
- Gold Coast Advocacy Inc
- Ipswich Regional Advocacy Service (IRASI)
- Mackay Advocacy Inc