Rights – Disability Services

picture of a nad full of seed feeding a bird

Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors provide a number of specialist disability services to people under the age of 65 (through their regional disability service offices).

These supports may include:

  • Accommodation support
  • Community access support
  • Case management
  • Early childhood intervention services
  • Goods and equipment
  • Life skills development
  • Multidisciplinary services
  • Respite services

If you are receiving support provided or funded by a disability service office, you have the right to:

  • Be treated with respect and courtesy
  • Stay informed and be consulted
  • Have a say in decisions made about your care
  • Receive quality services
  • Expect privacy and confidentiality and access to all personal information held about you by the provider
  • Have another person of your choice support you and advocate on your behalf
  • Have your comments and feedback valued
  • Make a confidential complaint if you are not happy with the services you receive
  • Have your ideas and decisions you make about your life respected by disability services staff and service providers. They should listen to what you have to say, and show courtesy in their behavior toward you.

You have the responsibility to:

  • Tell the department about changes in your circumstances that will affect the support and services you need; and
  • Keep your address and contact details up to date

Specialist Support

The Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors can also assist if you wish to request specialist support from the Queensland Government. You can complete an online request assistance form, contact them by phone or visit your local service centre. All information can be found here https://www.qld.gov.au/disability/adults/getting-help/specialist-disability-services/accessing-specialist-disability-services

Support Review

They can also assist in reviewing your current support plan to maintain an understanding of your current circumstances and make sure the services you are receiving are giving you the support you need. You can request a review of your support plan at any time or they will take place within a set time frame agreed with you, your carer or support person.

For information on how to complain or seek help if your rights are not being up held, see Complaints and Help