The Office of Public Guardian (OPG)
Protects the rights, interest and wellbeing of adults with impaired decision-making capacity. The OPG can investigate allegations of harm against people with impaired capacity.
Telephone: 1300 653 187
Queensland Advocacy Incorporated (QAI) is an independent, community-based systems and legal advocacy organisation for people with disability in Queensland, Australia. They can provide advocacy for people who have a mental illness, disability, cognitive impairment, acquired brain injury or profound physical disability that require assistance in guardianship and administration.
Phone: (07) 3844 4200 or 1800 130 582
Caxton Legal Service can provide free general legal advice, assist you to understand your options and provide a written copy of the advice. Their sessions run on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
Phone: (07) 3214 6333
LawRight provides free legal advice and assistance. Assistance provided may include
- Legal advice, including advice about appealing a QCAT decision
- Help in drafting documents, including QCAT application forms and correspondence
- Advice about other options for dispute resolution
- Information about QCAT’s processes
Application forms can be found here http://www.lawright.org.au/cms/page.asp?ID=60970
Cairns Community Legal Centre (CCLC) can support people in the community experiencing disadvantage. Information can be found here www.cclc.org.au, or phone: (07) 4031 7688 or 1800 062 608
The Advocacy and Support Centre (TASC) can help you if you have a disability or mental illness.
To find your local office: http://tascnational.org.au/contact-us/
Aged and Disability Advocacy Australia (ADA Australia) support adults who may have impaired decision making capacity to resolve guardianship and administration issues that may be related to:
- Their QCAT Administration and/or Guardianship orders that are not working, with support to arrange a QCAT hearing
- Supporting vulnerable people through QCAT tribunal hearings and applications
ADA Australia can also provide information if you:
- Have concerns about your Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA)
- Have people questioning your decision making capacity
- Have a QCAT hearing coming up and would like support
Phone: 1800 818 338 or (07) 3637 6000
Legalpedia is an online database operated by LawRight. It contains fact sheets, information and links to advocacy groups.
Easy English Booklet – Getting Legal Help
Legal Aid Queensland have an Easy English booklet to help people understand how to, step by step, get help for thier legal issues.
Phone: 1300 65 11 88