Complaints & Help – Centrelink

Picture of wheelchair at the beach with coloured beach houses

You can subscribe to Centrelink news for people with disability click here for the link


When dealing with Centrelink, you have the right to:

  • Access services in the same way as a person without a disability
  • Communicate in a way which is accessible to you. This can include using an interpreter or an assisted communication device
  • Have someone else deal with Centrelink for you, if you approve this
  • Have somebody else come to meetings with you, if you want them to
  • Not have your parents or guardians come to meetings if you are 18 or older, or if Centrelink says you are independent
  • Be treated with respect, dignity, privacy and fairness
  • Apply for any payment you think you might be allowed to get, even if you don’t end up getting everything you would like
  • Know what is happening and why it is happening explained to you in a way you can understand
  • Ask for a decision to be reviewed if you don’t agree with it
  • Not be treated less fairly than other people because of your disability, race, sex/gender, religion or sexuality
  • Complain about the way you are treated, and to get a response to your complaint


Centrelink Contacts

Carers 13 27 17
Centrelink Debt 1800 076 072
Complaints and Feedback 1800 132 468
Financial Information Service (FIS) 13 23 00
Help in an Emergency 13 28 50
Income Management 1800 132 594
Income Reporting 13 32 76
Indigenous Australians 1800 136 380
Job Seekers 13 28 50
Low Income Health Care Card 13 24 90
myGov 13 23 07
People with Disability 13 27 17
Phone Self Service 13 62 40
Reviews for earned income 1800 194 053
Rural & Remote Australians 13 23 16
Superannuation 13 36 33


Help for Issues with Centrelink

The following organisations may be able to assist you.


Basic Rights Queensland (BRQ)

Free, state-wide information, advice, advocacy and legal services on Social Security (Centrelink and Employment Services) and Disability Discrimination matters.

Phone: (07) 3847 5532

Department of Human Services

Free Financial Information Service to help you make decisions about your finances. You can get information from the service over phone, in person or through one of their free seminars. If you wish to get information from them in person, you may take someone with you as support and/or give someone the authority to speak on your behalf.

Phone: 132 300 or 136 357 to make a booking.
Finanaical Information Online: Click here

Legal Aid Queensland

Give advice about dealing with Centrelink, including advice about overpayments.

Phone: 1300 651 188
Office Locations: Click Here


Disability Law Queensland

Can assist with some centrelink matters. Contact them to see if they can assist.

Phone: (07) 3622 1250


Office Location: 40 Finsbury St, Newmarket, Qld.